Wereworld: Rise Of The Wolf - Curtis Jobling

Title: Wereworld: Rise Of The Wolf
(First book in the series)


Author: Curtis Jobling


Publisher: Penguin

Release Date: 2011

Category: Young Adult, Fantasy

Source: From the publisher

Paperback: 418



Summary from Amazon:
‘YOU’RE THE LAST OF THE WEREWOLVES SON. DON’T FIGHT IT . . . CONQUER IT.’ When the air is clear, sixteen year-old Drew Ferran can pick up the scent of a predator. When the moon breaks through the clouds, a terrifying fever grips him. And when a vicious beast invades his home, his flesh tears, his fingers become claws, and Drew transforms . . . Forced to flee the family he loves, Drew seeks refuge in the most godforsaken parts of Lyssia. But when he is captured by Lord Bergan’s men, Drew must prove he is not the enemy. Can Drew battle the werecreatures determined to destroy him – and master the animal within?


~~~~ 


I am going to unleash the fan girl within me and say I LOVE THIS BOOK *squealing*!

Drew is a farm boy living with his family in a remoted part of Lyssia. He doesn't fit in and, when compared with his twin brother, feels that he can't do much. One night, something terrible happens to him and before he knows it, he finds himself on the run and having to survive in hostile environments full of werecreatures. His journey though is only beginning and he will go through more than he could ever imagine.

This book is fantastic and everyone should read it! I was hooked from the first page (literally) and couldn't let go of it. And now all I want is to reread it until I can get my hands on the sequel! 

The mythology created by Curtis Jobling is truly fascinating. The world of Lyssia and its mysterious inhabitants and customs blew me away. When we start the story we don't exactly know what is going on and the further we discover this world through Drew's eyes, the more we realise there is to learn. Drew lived in a remoted place and his vision of Lyssia is not the same as someone living in the populated areas. Lyssia is ruled by a ruthless tyrant and all the inhabitants are afraid. We also realise that Drew doesn't exactly believe in the myth of werecreatures but he will soon enough realise that they do exist. 
I won't say more on this because if you pick up this book you will love discovering everything and everyone through the story, but I honestly can't get over the amazingness of Lyssia and its inhabitants.

The characters, and Drew in particular, are all thoroughly well-described and multi-dimensional. I absolutely loved Hector, Gretchen and Whitley! Gretchen is the ultimate snotty girl who keeps bringing Drew down, but there is more to her than her haughty attitude. Whitley's character is just amazing and I just loved this character's involvement in the story! The relationship and dynamics between characters made me want to read more and learn more about the story. And you need to read this book in order to meet Count Verga! He is just wow! I loved every single moments of the book with him!

The story-telling is brilliant! It is a third-person point of view but following Drew. Not only will you be hooked from the beginning, but you will let yourself guide through the story by Drew's voice. I always have the nasty habit of guessing the end of a book before it happens and even though I knew where the story was going, I kept being surprised at all the characters coming up along the story and the different plot points. It has been one wonderful ride and I won't be forgetting this adventure anytime soon. To tell you the truth, I read this book three weeks ago and have read a dozen in-between and all I can think about are werecreatures. I have a love for shape-shifters in general, but I have really fallen for this story.


I can't tell you enough how wonderful this book is and what an amazing addition to the fantasy genre! I am more than thrilled that Curtis Jobling started writing and I will be keeping an eye on his future books from now on.


Info: The book is perfect for both boys and girls. It contains some violent scenes so better suited for 11/12+ age range.




Watch the gorgeous trailer!






Thank you so much to Penguin for sending this wonderful story my way!

8 comments:

  1. It was a really good book. I agree. You've written a smashing review there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I wasn't sure I would like this book but now I'm getting tempted to give it a go! Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit nervous about reading this book, but it turned out to be so good I just couldn't put it down! Great review, I loved Gretchen too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cover!!! I am so glad that the book is that good too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a jolly enthusiastic review Caroline! I see the craze of the wereworld has taken hold. You sound addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review is going to put mine to shame.
    I am so glad you liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fantastic! I'm absolutely loving the sound of the world building in this one. Wonderful review too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My copy of this still hasn't turned up but it looks like I'm going to have to go out & buy it if it doesn't arrive soon! Great review Caro :o)

    ReplyDelete